Grizzle is 4 years old today, so that means CAKE TIME! I whipped out a few ingredients we had in the fridge and cupboards and created this scrummy cake in 40 minutes. Full of healthy, dog friendly ingredients you really can’t go wrong when knocking this one up. The quantity listed below will give you enough for two little cakes (you could also make cookies which we’ve done before too).
- 4 medium carrots – grated * I used my juicer to pulse up which gave me a lovely cup of carrot juice*
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of gluten free oat flour / oats * I used oats but if you’ve only got regular flour that will work too*
- 1.5 cans of tuna in water * keep the water *
- Add the grated carrot, eggs, tuna and oats or flour into a bowl and mix. I added a little coconut oil in for extra moisture as it was looking a little dry for a cake mixture …
- Line tin
- Add mixture to tin and press down
- Pop in pre heated oven (180 fan) and cook for 35-40 minnutes
- Allow to cool
- Top centre of cake with the cream from a can of coconut milk
- Decorate with dog friendly fruit or treats of choice. I used blueberries, and dried some liver in the oven to make ‘chocolate shavings’ – cute!
This cake didn’t hang around for long. He ate the entire thing within seconds of putting it down 🙂
Top Takeaway Points: Making your dog food at home is fun, easy and often works out cheaper than buying ready made. You can also make lots in bulk and freeze it.
REMEMBER, there are some foods that are poisonous to dogs, such as onion and garlic in large amounts, so make sure you check first.
Disclaimer: Please ensure you do your own research before feeding any of these recipes to your pets. We are not qualified dietitians or nutritionists and this blog is merely a fun and informal way of sharing our favourite pet friendly recipes.